The War on Bullshit
Today is 2024 and I will write you daily here this year. Check back daily for fresh bullshit!
I actually don't believe in bullshit, which of course is a technical term since Frankfurt's definition: the willful disregard of the truth.
My own ethos couldn't be farther but I can assure you that 2024 will believe in bullshit. In fact, I promise you'll encounter bullshit every day, starting today. For instance:
1. Shadowbanning -- share something and ask a friend how long they have to scroll to see it in their feed -- then send someone a link directly
2. Newsbanning -- scream bloody murder to your MP--censorship is a deep abomination of a sin
3. Verbal bullshit -- fucks you know will run their mouth and speak in utter nonsense they are *merely quoting without thinking* -- stop speaking on autopilot as a passive propagator of disinformation, don't believe anything you haven't seen contradicted
4. Actual war -- well this is bullshit, who benefits? The rich. Who decides? The rich. All of the above are part of the PRO WAR MOVEMENT -- shadowbanning and newsbanning help stop how the vietnam anti-war effort gained steam: unprecedented video coverage. The youtube content bubble may be good for your mental health in that it doesn't parade graphic content pornographically about the war, but without outside propositions that pierce this bubble you are lost -- styx and brand use rumble for good reason, even though most rumble-only content is likely bonkers.
5. AI Disinformation -- yeah yeah, this is part of why we have a news ban that is text-only (youtube news is allowed) since video fakes are much harder to make and pass -- invest in developing tech skills (ask me for recommendations) and learn to spot a fake, but start with the original: simple human lies
This is it folks, we have entered THE WAR ON BULLSHIT -- the information age is over, we have entered the disinformation age -- as people came online they became more educated -- to a point -- and we have definitely passed that point. As my late father used to say, according to my mother, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing": these resonant info bubbles, and the crack and ADHD meds free-floating in the population, all increase false confidence and the soporific permission not to think and to curl up by a fire of consistent buzzwords. It's a trap! Get out! The 'information' will suffocate you, you need contradiction to breath, get outside, and touch the wind until you find a place where it's blowing in multiple directions -- that is where reality meets fiction. We have to win this one or we descend permanently into a disinformed global slumber for all time, never to wake up.
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HAVEN'T SEEN CONTRADICTED FOR THE LOVE OF EPISTEMOLOGY AND MOTHER-LOVING FREEDOM - WAKE THE FUCK UP AND RESEARCH
Open Letters is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.